Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Issues with Place and Justice

In our society as a whole we conceive of the land in terms of ownership and use. It is a lifeless medium of exchange; it has for most of us, I suspect, no more spirituality than has an automobile, say, or a refrigerator. And our laws confirm us in this view, for we can buy and sell the land, we can exclude each other from it, and in the context of ownership we can use it as we will. Ownership implies use, and use implies consumption. (Momaday 580, my emphasis)


I am not certain how to think of place. One may refer to a place as a place for one's stuff...



Our understanding of place is static. I mean we know a place changes over time, but our memory of it remains somewhat stable and constructed based on how we want to remember it.
The woods I grew up near, similar to Dr. Rouzie's, were always changing, but that change was unnoticeable unless one were very meticulous each time one went to the woods by taking some type of record of it. The overall effect was one of consistency, but, I know, the trees, grass, creek, rocks, etc. were all slightly different each time I went there.
I recall one time I went to the woods down the hill from where I lived after several months of not being there--I noticed the difference immediately. This difference went unnoticed the next day I went because my memory of the woods was consistent with what I saw (or remembered I saw) the day before.
In our hubris (just for you Russ), I think we believe things change solely for and because of us. And when things change outside those confines, we sense some level of displeasure. Let me put it this way, if you owned a home, and someone came to mow your grass without your knowledge and you noticed this once you got home, how might you feel? Let's assume that the job was done expertly, did not do any damage, and actually "looked" better than you had ever done. Yet, you would probably still feel violated because someone changed the landscape. They changed something you were not expecting--your expectation created your displeasure when confronted with reality.
Nevertheless, as Ursula K. Heise and others suggest, we are nomadic--always on the move, "forever on the road" (48). The inclusion of place in this context--the context of our movement--suggests, again, that place is static.
We move within it.

Heise points to numerous examples of American, perhaps Westward, expansion and movement across the land. Some people recognize the romance of moving from place to place and we even envy those that do move from place to place. For Instance: Someone that has lived in Wyoming, Utah, California, New York, Florida, London, and Tokyo garners a certain level of interest, mystery, and intrigue--do they not?

Change.
In reading bell hooks, I simply do not make some of the same connections she does between African Americans and nature. Moreover, I'm at a loss at her comparing (and quite closely) the Native American connection to land to an African American connection to land. Perhaps I'm defensive, but her suggesting that African Americans go back to the South for "spiritual nourishment" has me bewildered (107). Even in her next paragraph (after the quote on 107), she suggests how African American "can restore our relationship to the natural world"--why would one need to restore a relationship (or connection) she's describing them as already having?
Sorry to be critical, but I'm missing something here.

Change.
As I read through Momaday, I realized that I have often heard the phrase, "living off the land," and I realized that living off something also means taking something from it--like a parasite. In fact, humans are a parasite on Earth's body. Momaday writes of his grandfather: "He could not have conceived of living apart from the land" (576). To be sure, it seems he could not leave apart from the land. Deep in Momaday's essay, there is a sense of confusion. Confusion between the "land" and the element of our galaxy: the sun. As we know, the sun is not a part of our planet--yet, it is often portrayed as a part of the landscape, which creates some problems regardless of the fact that we need the sun to survive.
I'm curious what the class thinks of this confusion I perceive. So, post a comment below and let me know!



I don't believe there will ever be, nor can there ever be, environmental justice.
Each one of us has killed millions of lifeforms throughout our lifetime. We continue to do so now. What justice is there in the cessation of another life?

3 comments:

  1. I like the parasite analogy. If we look at the earth, solar system, universe, whatever as a great entity/organism/Gaia/etc. then we are always already users and consumers of it for our life, thus parasites. The question isn't whether we are bad people who use and consume the earth or good people who don't, it is what kind of parasite we're going to be, one that harms its host, is neutral, or one that actually serves the host (like the bacteria that help human digestion).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig,
    I’m not trying to “romanticize” the concept of place, but sometimes, just like Sanders, my mind refuses to identify the changes. My eyes are capable of noticing the difference; however, my mind rejects this realization. I guess there is something soothing and reassuring in believing that my favorite place will always look the same. The mental image that I have about my favorite place maintains its fixity, which provides me with a refuge that defies both time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lawn mowing analogy was great. I think when you say something along the lines of "even if it was done expertly, you would still feel violated," it rings true and gets at the heart of the eco-composition issues we're examining in Heise.

    Humans are parasites, no analogy (remember agent Smith's diatribe in The Matrix?). We use up resources and then move on to the next place; we eat animals, plants, etc. in order to survive. We are not symbiotic like the little fishies who get rides on sharks and whales and live off the grime that builds up on them. However, we don't have to be fatalistic about being parasites; we are knowledgeable and have emotions, so we can act sustainably (symbiotically) based on our empathy for other living things, our empathy for future generations, and our knowledge about and abilities to solve complex problems. EVOLUTION.

    ReplyDelete